Skip to content
Scroll to Top
- Use space heaters wisely. Allow a safe distance between the hot surfaces of the heater and any other materials such as curtains, bedding and clothing.
- Never use the cooking oven to heat your home.
- Make sure to keep chimneys swept and vent pipes cleaned and free from obstructions.
- When using heaters and fireplaces which burn fuel like natural gas, propane, kerosene, wood or coal. A colorless odorless gas called carbon monoxide may build up in your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning or even death is possible if there is not adequate ventilation to allow this gas to escape.
- It is a good idea to keep a carbon monoxide detector in rooms where you sleep or spend long hours in the winter. Like a smoke alarm. It can sound an alarm to let you know if this dangerous gas is building up to unhealthy levels.
- Wrap pipes in insulation which will be exposed to the air or in unheated crawl spaces. You may also allow faucets to drip. Allowing the water to continue flowing. Both of these measures will help to prevent the pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Take care in using candles during any power outages. Keep all flammable material a safe distance from the open flames.
- Check on your neighbors, especially the elderly. And make sure they are safe and healthy as well.